our wedding: the ceremony

Some of you might remember that when Matthew and I got engaged we wanted to get married this fall. When we found out that our church was undergoing a huge reconstruction in June we had to move things around to get married in May. Honestly, I am so happy that we got married on May 6th, even though the planned construction still hasn't happened. Our wedding day was absolutely perfect, especially weather-wise. It couldn't have been a prettier day. We had a small ceremony with our immediate family at the church and then did another one later in the afternoon at our venue. It was nice to have the church ceremony more intimate and traditional and then have a fun, modern ceremony later on. We had the best of both worlds! And I think if I was currently planning a wedding for October I might be a little crazy! 8 months was just enough time.
Matthew gave me a surprise dip when the priest said, "You may now kiss the bride!"

Matthew's nieces and nephews were our little flower girls and ring bearers. My friend Eden and I made the floral headbands for the flower girls {she also did my beautiful flowers}. We made them the week before the wedding, while we watched The Royal Wedding. It will always be one of my favorite wedding planning days full of last minute crafts, chips and salsa, smoothies and tears for the royals! 

My godparents each read a passage that was important to me in some way. My godmother Susie read William Shakespeare's Sonnet 116. She and my Dad met at Berkeley when they were in a Shakespeare survey course together. They become great friends and she has always been an important part of our family's life, especially as my godmother. It's interesting to think about how the circle of life continues since years later I too was at Berkeley taking Shakespeare classes as an English major! My godfather Charlie read Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Sonnets from the Portuguese XLIII. It's a beautiful passage about love and I'm also Portuguese so I loved it even more :) It meant so much to have these two very important people read these passages. They've made such an impact on my life and having them be a part of our day meant so much.

We chose more traditional music for the church but at the venue our song choices were more modern and personal to us: 

Family Procession: In My Life The Beatles
Bridal Party Procession: You Are The Sunshine of My Life Stevie Wonder
Bride's Procession: You Are The Best Thing Ray LaMontagne
Recessional: This Will Be An Everlasting Love Natalie Cole

I loved ending on that Natalie Cole song. It's been one of my favorites since I was little because it's so fun and uplifting. I felt like it was the perfect song to say "Woohoo! We're married. Now let's eat cake and dance the night away!"

Tomorrow: the reception!
xox
signature.heart

No comments:

Post a Comment