wedding wednesday: a venue issue

As if searching for a venue wasn't hard enough, we have come across a bit of an obstacle. Actually two!

The first obstacle: The church we want to get married in has a lot of sentimental value to us. I was baptized there when I was a baby, I met my best friend Elizabeth through our religious education classes, I was a Youth Leader and Confirmation Leader, and Matthew was baptized there this past spring. And the most special thing of all..my parents were married there 25 years ago! So you can see the importance of having our ceremony at this church rather than any other one. However, the frustrating thing is that the church is undergoing a year long renovation starting in JUNE! So to get married in our church, as it is now, it would have to be in May at the latest {yikes so soon!}

The second obstacle: The venue that Matthew and I really love is 45 minutes north of LA. The site is absolutely gorgeous and has a really beautiful ceremony and reception area overlooking mountains and fields. It's really stunning! They also work with a caterer that doesn't have a lot of these superfluous fees that other ones charge. My mom, however, doesn't really think people are going to want to come to the church ceremony and then drive out to the reception site 45 minutes away.

My suggestion: Keep the church ceremony more intimate with just family and then go the reception site and do another ceremony {which is basically a blessing} with our own vows. That way people won't feel pressured to arrive the night before for the church ceremony. Both would still be really special.

Or do a simple ceremony at the church in May and then do the reception {with a little ceremony beforehand} in September/October like we were originally thinking. But would that be weird to already be married for 4 months?

Any thoughts or opinions? I haven't been to any weddings as an adult so I'm not sure how common or uncommon this is. Or if it's a really inconvenient idea. Also, if any of you know of any sites in Los Angeles that are pretty and affordable let me know :)

Next week: wedding inspiration/color scheme {& hopefully the finalization of a date and place!}
xox
signature.heart
P.S. Make sure to enter the giveaway for the Oufi bag! I'm picking the winner Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment